Effective June, 22, 2020: Due to Covid-19 class size has been reduced to four students. Registering for a class means you agree to the following:
1) Wearing a face mask at all times while in the building and in class.
2) If you have a fever of 100.4 or higher you will request a transfer to a future class.
3) Students will wear gloves during class practicum while handling class ingredients.
Have you been kicking around the idea of making homemade soap?
Maybe you’re getting started in this hobby.
Or you’re just excited about soapmaking and want to improve your skills, learn new recipes and stretch your creativity.
Hi there, I’m La Shonda Tyree. I turned my hobby and passion for making my own soaps and lotions into a highly successful business. And I love teaching other passionate creatives how to make their own soaps (and maybe even one day, sell what they make.)
In this workshop...
We will begin by discovering the history and chemistry of soapmaking, and the safety practices required to manufacture soap.
We’ll then get hands-on as I instruct you in soapmaking using sodium hydroxide with the cold process method.
We’ll explore how to unleash our creativity by:
- customizing our soaps with colors, fragrances and/or essential oils
- learn how to create luxurious soaps using alternative liquids such as Goat’s Milk
- and make fabulous swirl patterns and embedding designs utilizing a couple of different methods that will make your soaps rival mass market soaps.
Other topics will include: resources for supplies and industry websites; proper product labeling and preservation; and tips on how to start a business.
And when we’re done...
You’ll take home over 6 pounds of soap equivalent to 12 bars of handcrafted soaps.
Materials and what you’ll need
Special Note: Materials fee are included in class registration fee except for the items listed below.
What you’ll need...
As a participant you’ll need to bring (click on Amazon affiliate link images to purchase):
4. rubber gloves (to protect hands)
6. sturdy bags (with a flat bottom) to transport soaps.
Need to take Mass Transit from NYC?
Check the NJ Transit website for specific travel planning. You will need to take the #1 bus from Journal Square Path Station in Jersey City or Newark Penn Station in Newark or an Uber.
Can't make this class?